gen:LOCK is a 3D animated mecha sci-fi series produced by Rooster Teeth. The release date is yet to be confirmed, but is tentatively set for some time in 2018. It was announced at RTX Austin on July 7th, 2017.
- “On the losing side of a global culture war, an Experimental Science Unit is pushed to identify a team of young pilots who can control a variety of prototype, next-generation mecha—giant, robotic, weaponized bodies. The recruits will find, however, that their newfound abilities come at no small cost.”
Conception and influencesEdit
The original concept for gen:LOCK was pitched in the summer of 2016, with pre-production beginning in late 2016. The series will explore high-concept science fiction and feature more mature themes compared to the concurrently running Rooster Teeth show RWBY. gen:LOCK was publicly announced at RTX Austin on July 7th, 2017.
An emphasis was placed on the self-consistency and logic of the rules and technology of the world. To this end, a detailed series bible containing concept art and backstory was created for the show. The show bears more similarity with "realistic" mech, drawing closer comparisons to Gundam and Aldnoah.Zero than "super" mech shows like Gurren Lagann.
Other anime cited as influences include the cyberpunk series Ghost in the Shell and Psycho Pass, the strongly character oriented storytelling of Kiznaiver, as well as the science fiction anime work of Gen Urobuchi. However, writer/director Gray G. Haddock emphasized that it will not adhere strictly to any genre conventions and will draw from a diverse range of inspirations and ideas.
While both 3D animated shows, the art style of gen:LOCK is intended to be more realistic and detailed than RWBY. In addition to concept art created internally by Rooster Teeth artists, the team sought out collaborations with other artists such as Bach "Dishwasher1910" Do (whose fan art gained the attention of Rooster Teeth) and concept artist Gavin Manners.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 RTX Austin 2017 RT Podcast Panel
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 io9 Get Your First Look at gen:LOCK, the Mecha Action Drama from the Creators of RWBY
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 RTX Austin 2017 RWBY Panel
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 RTX Austin 2017 Meet Rooster Teeth Animation! Panel
- ↑ Dishwasher1910 Twitter
- ↑ Gray G. Haddock Twitter